Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Daily Nugget #6: Pop Levi, "Blue Honey"

I first found this track on the amazing and highly recommended compilation A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind: Volume 1 by The Amorphous Androgynous. A punchy riff rocker, it recalls the best T. Rex (especially the lyrics), but what really knocks me out is the unique rhythm: check out the stuttering, shifting drums. Apparently blue honey is some sort of psychedelic mushroom concoction; the swooping string arrangements and acid guitar certainly have that psilocybin tinge. I once played this about fifteen times in a row while driving around. I still need to check out Pop Levi's albums (The Return to Form Black Magick Party from 2007 and Never Never Love from 2008), but in the meantime I think I'll throw this one on a few more times.

"Blue Honey":

No comments:

Post a Comment